General Elevator and Hydraulics, Inc. began as Rafiner Elevator in 1891 in Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Ralph Rafiner sold his company in 1971. The company’s name was changed to General Elevator and Hydraulics, Inc. at that time.
Mr. Leon Schumacher (current President) purchased General Elevator in 1980. Mr. Leon Schumacher is the brother of Mr. Marvin Schumacher, President of Schmacher Elevator in Denver, Iowa.
Schumacher Elevator was founded in 1936 by Mr. William Schumacher, Leon’s Grandfather.